CMBC was established in May 2001 to promote a holistic, interdisciplinary approach in the education of future leaders in marine biodiversity and conservation and in research to find better ways to effectively interface between the natural and social sciences.
Our thanks to founding Director Dr. Nancy Knowlton (2001 – 2007) and Dr. Jeremy Jackson (2007 – 2011) for their visionary leadership. Dr. Lisa Levin the current Director, was appointed in July 2011.
* Convened major international and interdisciplinary marine conferences
* Created new 4 unit course in ocean policy, law and economics
* Received two major grants for interdisciplinary Ph.D. training from NSF
* Created a 16 unit summer intensive interdisciplinary training course
* Created a Master of Advanced Studies program in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation
* Created the student run Environmental Science and Policy group at SIO to promote integration of student research into the policy process
* Created the student run Interdisciplinary Forum for Environmental Research to promote cross campus research and education
* Created the student managed Climate Science for Informed Policy to inform international delegates on the importance of the oceans in climate negotiations.
* Established and continue to manage 12 major research groups.