CMBC was established in May 2001 to promote a holistic, interdisciplinary approach in the education of future leaders in marine biodiversity and conservation and in research to find better ways to effectively interface between the natural and social sciences.
Our thanks to founding Director Dr. Nancy Knowlton (2001 – 2007) and Dr. Jeremy Jackson (2007 – 2011) for their visionary leadership. Dr. Lisa Levin was appointed in July 2011 through June 2017. Dr. Levin was the first to hold the Oliver Chair in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation. Dr. Stuart Sandin is the current director appointed in July 2017.
* Created a 16 unit summer intensive interdisciplinary training course
* Created a Master of Advanced Studies program in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation
* Created the student run Environmental Science and Policy group at SIO to promote integration of student research into the policy process
* Created the student run Interdisciplinary Forum for Environmental Research to promote cross campus research and education
* Created the student managed Climate Science for Informed Policy to inform international delegates on the importance of the oceans in climate negotiations.
* Established and continue to manage 12 major research groups.