The Vice Chancellor for Marine Sciences (VCMS) is committed to promoting academic excellence by supporting the family needs of Scripps, UC San Diego Researchers and Project Scientists. The VCMS therefore, through the Dependent Care Travel Grant program (DCTG), provides $25,000 annually to help offset costs for eligible faculty who incur dependent care expenses related to traveling to perform research or to attend regional, national, or international conferences or professional meetings. DCTG funds may be used to offset dependent care expenses at an alternate location, such as a hotel or conference site, or for dependent care at home while the faculty member is traveling. Eligible faculty members may receive one VCMS-funded dependent care travel grant per fiscal year, not exceeding $2500 total.
Suggestions and feedback are welcome. Contact the program coordinator Susie Pike Humphrey at (858) 534-8655 or email@example.com.
Participants include Scripps Researchers or Project Scientists who:
- Are either single caretakers of a dependent, or
- Have spouses or partners unavailable for dependent care during their professional travel, due to work obligation or extenuating circumstances
- Have requested and received approved academic leaves from chairs or administrators, where applicable, for related travel during the service period
Per Fiscal Year
The VCMS provides $25,000 annually. Eligible faculty members may receive one VCMS-funded dependent care travel grant per fiscal year, not exceeding $2500 total.
- healthy children (≤ 12 years) who reside with the applicant and for whom the applicant is a primary caregiver; or
- child/adolescent (≤18 years) who is physically or mentally disabled, requires assistance with daily activities, resides with the applicant, and for whom the applicant is a primary caregiver; or
- a disabled adult/elder (child, spouse, parent, parent-in-law or grandparent) who spends at least eight hours every day in the applicants' home and for whom the applicant has caregiving responsibility
- Travel expenses for the dependent
- Fees paid to a caregiver (other than a spouse, partner or other immediate family member) for services provided
- Reasonable dependent care expenses over and above the cost, if any, that the faculty member would normally incur at home, or if the dependent must travel with the faculty member during the trip
- Travel expenses for a caregiver (either to the faculty member's home to provide care or to provide onsite care for the dependent)
- Accommodations and meals for a caregiver during travel to conference or research meeting, or alternate research location
- The cost of shipping expressed breastmilk for a child at home while the recipient is traveling
- Dependent care expenses at home that would normally be incurred (i.e., aftercare at school, dependent care that is provided on an on-going basis, or meals/groceries for dependents or caregivers that would normally be incurred)
- Caregiver fees paid to immediate family members
- Any of the faculty member’s expenses, conference or otherwise
- Entertainment activities
- First of business class tickets
- ffsets for any state-funded travel expenses prohibited by California State law AB 1887
- Other expenses not associated with the additional care or travel of the dependents