Community Spotlight is a place to recognize Scripps students, staff and faculty for their contributions to diversity. We hope this page will raise awareness and appreciation for their efforts and contributions to diversity within the Scripps community and beyond.
This month, we will be highlighting students that have received diversity awards and fellowships, including, but not limited to the San Diego Fellowship, the Ford Foundation Fellowship, membership into the Bouchet Graduate Honor Society, and/or the Competitive Edge Fellowship.
We asked the students, "What is your personal definition of 'Inclusion'"?
Inclusion SHOULD be defined as equal opportunity for all HUMANS in any and every available opportunity on earth.
- San Diego Fellowship - 2014
- NSF GRFP - 2014
- GPS SCiPol Fellowship - 2016 & 2017
- Bouchet Scholar - 2018
To me, in the context of higher education, "inclusion" is the process by which everyone is allowed to participate, feel welcome, and thrive -- regardless of race, class, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc. It then follows that certain support networks and infrastructure for those who have been historically excluded from academia need be created as part of/to foster "inclusion".
- NSF Graduate Student Fellowship (2017)
- San Diego Fellowship (2017)
- Acceptance into the CMBC's Program for Interdisciplinary Environmental Research (PIER) (2017)
- Acceptance into Sigma Xi Honor Society (2017)
Garfield T. Kwan
To be mindful of the challenges others face, then work to increase accessibility.
- 2014 Graduate Fellowship - NSF GRFP Funding
- 2014 Graduate Fellowship - San Diego Fellowship
Inclusion means to encourage and put in to practice, bringing together diverse perspectives, backgrounds, experiences, etc. (in an open and respective manner).
- 2017 Tegner Award
- 2016 San Diego Fellowship
Valuing the thoughts and ideas of people from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- 2017 San Diego Fellowship
- 2017 Competitive Edge Fellowship
Sara R. Rivera
Everyone can be their true selves, has a seat at the metaphorical table, and is valued and respected by others.
- 2015 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program Fellow (NSF GRFP)
- 2014 San Diego Fellowship Fellow
- 2014 Competitive Edge Fellow
To me, inclusion is the lack of ostracization in community, friendship, conversation, privileges, etc. for any reason, including but not limited to gender, race, ethnicity, religion, language preference, sexual orientation, and personal views/values.
- 2013 San Diego Fellowship
- 2013 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
- 2015 Blasker-Rose-Miah Fund of The San Diego Foundation Grant Co-recipient
- 2017 Naval Research Enterprise Intern
Actively seeking to include and respect the experiences and viewpoints of traditionally under represented groups in higher education, the workplace, and society.
2010 Inaugural Bouchet Scholar
Inclusion to me, means that everyone be given the same opportunities in order to promote diversity.
- 2012-2014 Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation, Bridge to the Doctorate Fellow
- 2014-2016 San Diego Fellowship recipient