Types of Funding

Financial support is typically available to Scripps students in the form of fellowships and grants, graduate student researcher positions and teaching assistantships.

Fellowships and Grants

Fellowships and grants provide funding for tuition, fees and stipends for living expenses, and depending on the source, vary in amount and duration of award. They are the most desirable arrangement for graduate student support from the point of view of the student. Information and tools to help students identify fellowships and grants may be found at: http://ogs.ucsd.edu/current-students/fundraising-academic-awards.html and http://research.ucsd.edu/surf/index.html . Students are encouraged to obtain extramural support by applying directly to fellowship granting agencies.

Graduate Student Researcher (GSR)

GSR positions provide the bulk (about 60% at Scripps) of student support. A GSR performs research support under the direction of a faculty supervisor on their research grants/contract. In the most desirable cases, the contract supports the student and provides other funds necessary for the work leading to the dissertation.

The simplest way for a student to find support is to find a project within an existing research program. The list of academics (http://scripps.ucsd.edu/Research/People) can aid students in their search for dissertation projects and funding. The academic staff of the institution, in varying degrees, seeks students to work with, but the students must establish productive communications.

In particular, first and second year students should move quickly to establish contact with the members of their curricular group and the groups with similar interests. Consulting with other students and faculty is useful but there is no substitute for meeting with the curricular group members and reading their papers and the dissertations of their students.

An alternative to taking up an existing project for which a funding base exists is to generate a project in collaboration with an interested staff member.

A GSR represents a form of salaried appointment, as well as, a research opportunity. The Principal Investigator (P.I.) or grant recipient has the right to ask for up to 20 hours a week of research work. In the most ideal situation this research work will also form the basis of the doctoral dissertation, but this need not be so. Many students, for example, are Graduate Student Researchers on grants or contracts administered by members of the research staff.

Teaching Assistants (TA)

TAs assist in the instruction of lower and upper division courses under the supervision of the instructor. Application for TA-ships is done online: http://academicaffairs.ucsd.edu/Modules/ASES/Apply.aspx?cid=244 TA-ships are allocated based on need; priority is given to students whose adviser has submitted a request for funding in addition to the student’s online application for a particular position. Students in their first year are not scheduled to teach. TA-ships at Scripps are available primarily through the Scripps undergraduate courses but are sometimes available to Scripps students through other departments, particularly biology. Graduate courses at Scripps do not have teaching assistantships.

A comprehensive series of workshops for Teaching Assistants is available at the Center for Teaching Development on the UCSD Campus. Two valuable programs offered by CTD include the English Language Program for International Instructors and the Teaching Assistant Development Program. For more information, contact 858.534.6767.

Support eligibility does not exceed seven years. The intent is for students to complete their degrees and to have room for new students. Therefore, self-generated national fellowships count as support; the number of quarters registered is the issue, not the number of quarters supported by University of California funds. This seven-year limitation on support may be waived only with approval of the Graduate Council. Further, the Department will not provide any support from its own sources for students after six years, since this support is needed for incoming, and some continuing, students. Students exceeding six years (18 quarters registered) must be supported by funds that, in the Department's opinion, could not be used for new students (e.g. Federal contracts or grants specifically including the student's dissertation research).