Essentials of Entrepreneurship provides an introduction to critical knowledge and skills related to innovation and entrepreneurship. In this course, you will discover new ways of thinking, learn to drive innovative initiatives, and approach business challenges with a fresh perspective. By the end of the course, you will be able to understand the principles and methods of idea generation and development.
Using a "flipped classroom" format, you'll be able to watch video lectures online prior to the in-class session. Class time is used for deeper dives using exercises and activities for a more experiential approach.
This course is FREE for students, faculty, and staff of UC San Diego. To request complimentary enrollment, please contact Nathan Owens at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your student or employee ID number.
- Understand design thinking and ideation;
- Understand business models and connect innovation and entrepreneurial initiatives to organization objectives and goals;
- Develop knowledge and skills to use Lean Startup methodology in customer development and discovery
- Understand how to communicate, finance, or market a new idea, product, or initiative.
Earn a Certificate of Completion
Participants who attend 6 out of 8 of the sessions will earn a certificate of completion.
Schedule and Guest Lecturers:
Winter 2020 - 4 - 6 pm
- January 8 - Introduction to Design Thinking
- January 15 - Business Modeling
- January 22 - Customer Discovery and Development
- John York, Principal and CEO, Akita Biomedical
- January 29 - Financing Your Startup
- February 5 - Building Your Team
- February 12 - Social Innovation
- Robert Foster, Director of Impact Investments, San Diego Grantmakers
- February 19 - Storytelling
- February 26 - Pitching Your Idea