The SIO Scientific Diving Course, or it's equivalent, is a minimum 100 hour course required of anyone wishing to use SCUBA for their scientific research or employment under the auspices of Scripps and UC San Diego.
The course curriculum includes:
- Physics and Physiology of diving,
- Decompression Theory and Dive Planning
- Equipment and Environmental Considerations
- Hazardous Marine Life,
- Scripps Scientific Diving Program and Policy
- Diving Emergency First Aid (CPR, first aid, oxygen administration, and field neurological examination) training
- Dive Rescue
- Written Scripps Scientific Diver examination
- 12+ supervised open water dives
Pool Sessions will be held at the Natatorium or at the Coggin Aquatic Center.
Lectures in Vaughan Hall 100 and the Dive Locker, and dives are conducted at a variety of locations.