5 days in Sri Lanka

Hi MIST Followers,

We boarded the ship yesterday, and are all settled in. Today we are mostly preparing to leave for tomorrow – a lot of small things are still being ironed out, but we are all excited and ready to go!

I was lucky enough to travel around Sri Lanka for a couple days before boarding the ship. It is truly an amazing country – there is so much variety and so many different places to see, all packed on a small island. I think I could have stayed for 2 more weeks and not seen half of what I would have liked to!

I spent the first day of the trip in Weligama, a beach town in the South of Colombo. It was a very relaxed town, with beautiful beaches, and (my favorite) good surfing. There were a lot of very brightly colored fishing outriggers there as well, and very fresh local seafood.

After Weligama, I visited Yala National Park. Yala is famous for its wildlife, with a relatively large concentration of leopards, and a number of elephants, crocodiles, and a diverse population of birds.  I had been hoping that we would see a leopard, but unfortunately we did not. We did see several elephants, and a couple fresh leopard prints.
The following couple days were spent traveling in the so-called  ‘cultural triangle’ of Sri Lanka. After driving through the high tea country, I visited several amazing places, including Kandy (where the Buddha’s Tooth Relic is housed), Dambulla (beautiful cave paintings and statues), Sigiriya (a rock fortress), and Polonnaruwa (historical capital of Sri Lanka in the 12th century).

I got into Colombo yesterday night, and spent the night on the ship. Colombo itself is also quite interesting, and we had a great meal last night.  We are leaving tomorrow morning, and so are looking forward to a final meal ashore tonight before departing.
Happy holidays to all the MIST followers, and thanks for reading!

Alan Foreman