Staying Ahead of the Curve
Scripps researchers have made many important discoveries that have saved lives and billions of dollars. Scripps Oceanography continues to be the foremost environmental research institution by:
• identifying the most pressing environmental problems facing our planet
• providing the knowledge necessary to address these challenges
• teaching the next generation of science leaders to carry on this work.
But Scripps needs increased resources to stay on top of the rapidly escalating environmental challenges of the 21st century.
Private Support Makes a Difference
From its founding more than a century ago, Scripps Institution of Oceanography has relied on private gifts and grants to sustain its scientific excellence and its outstanding students. With so many possibilities and challenges ahead, private support is more meaningful than ever. In recent years, private support has funded:
- Graduate student fellowships
- Postdoctoral fellowships
- Career development awards for early career scientists
- Endowed faculty chairs in climate change, marine biodiversity and conservation, and natural history
- Research on coral reef restoration, ocean pollution, fisheries, the California Current, climate change, and more
- The award-winning Feeling the Heat exhibit at Birch Aquarium at Scripps
- The Perspectives on Ocean Science lecture series at Birch Aquarium at Scripps
- The Robert Paine Scripps Forum for Science, Society and the Environment (Scripps Seaside Forum)
- Scripps Oceanographic Collections sponsorships
The Importance of Private Support
Scripps Institution of Oceanography receives less than 12 percent of its budget from the state of California. We must rely on private gifts for new buildings, student fellowships, endowments, seed funding for new programs, and matching funds.
Birch Aquarium at Scripps receives no state appropriation. Income from admissions and rentals must be supplemented by gift income to support the aquarium’s programs.
For more information about how you can support Scripps, or to join us for a visit to learn more, please contact the Scripps Development Office at 858-822-1865 or email@example.com.