- What is the URL ??
- Who do I contact if my credentials don't work ??
- Who do I contact if I can't find what I need and I am NOT in a hurry ??
- Who do I contact if I can't find what I need and I am in a hurry ??
- What is the difference between the Search options ??
Not much. All 3 search the nickname field which is important. The 'Jump To...' one is most limited and clicking on it will describe what criteria can be used.
- How do I change the Home Dept of a student?
If a student doesn't have a PPS entry you can 'override' the field by hovering over the field on the top-rigth; once on the right spot you'll see a paper icon appear that you select; then you can type into the field.
I don't recall if it auto-completes but just make sure it's the same spelling as other people with the same Home Department.
- How do I delete a record that was entered in error ?
Short Answer: You don't. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include as much information as possible on which record is to be removed.
Long Answer: No one likes an explanation longer than it has to be, so move on and just send the email.
- Where does the app. get it's data ?
Besides PPS we also pull data from Blink, which pulls from ACT Directory Services. There is also TimeKeeping, and our own local Space DB, and of course anyone authorized to enter 'local' data here at SIO.
- What is the PID field ?
PID is a student ID which is available of anyone in PPS, who has ever been matriculated as a student at UCSD. Don't know if it is also populated if individual attended another UC campus.
- How does the Space Database connect to the People Databas ?
The local Space Database feeds our people DB for both 'Assigned' and 'Occupied' spaces. However, the People DB only feeds 'Occupied' space data back to the Space DB.
'Assigned' space data needs to be entered into the Space DB; this data is not updated as often.
- What is ISIS?
ISIS is the system through which UCSD student data can be viewed. In near future we would like to pull undergraduate student data from here. Similarly, OGS is the Office of Graduate Students and the stewards of graduate student data.
In future we would also wish to pull data from them. Don't know if graduate data is also available via ISIS.
Step-by-Step User Guide
- Create a new record or update existing
A. First check if person is already in database.
- Select 'New' from top menu in View/Edit page, or from landing page: https://siointra.ucsd.edu/secure/people2/
- Perform initial search by entering what is known about the person. All 5 fields need to be filled but only 'Last Name' and 'First Name' should be accurate; the other fields don't have to be accurate.
B. Search Results
I. If there is a match then via the 'SIO ID' hyperlink proceed to update data fields in the View/Edit page of the person selected. ( No new record is created )
II. If there is no match then select 'Proceed to Create a New Record' button at bottom right. There are several instructions on this page.
- When creating a new record there are 4 fields which are required and are clearly marked in the View/Edit page of any person. Last Name, Fist Name, SIO Role and Primary Email. Once filled these fields will show colored 'green'; otherwise they remain 'red'. The record cannot be 'saved' unless all 4 fields are filled. Furthermore, the 'Save' button will not be available for selection if any of the 4 fields remain unfilled.
(NOTES: Any 'Save' button saves field content in any of the modules . And in Fall 2014 we'll have more required fields. )
- People data is divided into the following Modules: Employment/HR, Relationships, Hiring/Separation, Personal Data, Teaching/Education, Space, Notes, and Personnel History. (NOTE: Personnel History is not a data entry module per se. Rather it is a log of how the record has been modified over time.
- The Employment/HR module contains most of the fields which determine how the person will be represented in other SIO web sites such as Scripps Scholars, the Scripps directory, some mailing lists (i.e. Academic Personnel), and eventually other sites. (NOTE: For in-depth field descriptions see related section below )
- Create a new record or update existing