WordPress is the world’s most popular open-source content management system and meets most web publishing needs.
Eligibility and Fees
Lab sites are provided at no charge to the Scripps community.
- Support for pages, blogs, photos, video, audio
- Standard templates (2 responsive themes to choose from)
- Standard set of approved plugins
- Social media integration for sharing/linking content
- Site Analytics
Do you require more functionality?
If you find you need more than WordPress can provide — data repositories, interactive features — you can opt for external hosting, theming and programming. However, please note, that the Web Group will not be able to provide support.
What you need to do
- Choose a template
- Choose a name
- Email email@example.com and set up a time to come talk with us about your needs
- Log in and customize your template
- Prepare and migrate your content
Think about your content
- What do you really need to put online?
- Keep site simple so people think about your research, not your website
- What are your top pages?
- Who will update your site?
- Can you maintain what you start?
- You don’t want to build 20 pages that need to be updated every year
Two Template Options
Twenty Fourteen Theme Details
- Good for highlighting projects or frequent updates
Needs posts to populate front page
- Posts don’t need to be “bloggy”
- But they do need images
- Grid will display up to 6 image posts in two rows, so 3 or 6 look best
- Slider will show up to 6 slides
Stacks Theme Details
- Works if you want a home page that just has an image and a little intro text
- Each layer can be different
Prepare your content
- Strip old formatting
- Photos likely need to be bigger
- Responsive design shows them big on big screens, small on small screens
- WordPress will compress them for smaller sizes
- Bullet lists help skimmers
- Use common language for your field to help your content be found
Migrate Your Content
- Make pages for your main menu items
- If you opted for the Twenty Fourteen them, be sure to make posts for slider or grid
- Add your new URL to your UCSD Blink profile
When Your Site is Ready...
- Let Web Operations know at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can:
- Redirect any old URL to the new URL
- Make sure you are listed in the Centers, Labs, Programs, and Groups directory