Scripps Web Operations provides basic WordPress sites at no charge to Principal Investigators or staff members managing labs, projects, or expeditions.
WordPress at Scripps Oceanography
Web Operations's most straightforward WordPress setup uses the "Stacks" template theme, in which the home page consistes of customizable rows of content, internal pages, and the option to post news/blog entries. You can make sites like Latz Lab or Giddings Lab.
For the adventurous, we have begun to offer a more flexible setup using the X theme that incorporates the Cornerstone page builder, which you can use to make sites like Shore Stations, CNAP, and the Munk Centennial site. For those who want more customization, there's the H-Code theme, used for Ramanathan Lab.
All of our sites share the same code base and simple family of WordPress plugins.
- We provide initial setup and basic training, but you will be responsible for creating and adding your content (i.e. text and images, etc.)
- All sites show up under the Scripps Oceanography domain (scripps.ucsd.edu/labs or /programs or /expeditions).
- If you find you need more than WordPress can provide — data repositories, interactive features — you can opt for external hosting, theming, and programming. However, please note, that the Web Group will not be able to provide support.
What you need to do
- Let us know your preferred site name, such as "Jane Smith Lab" or "Jane Smith's Time Lab."
- Let us know your preferred path, such as "scripps.ucsd.edu/labs/smithlab" or "scripps.ucsd.edu/labs/timelab".
- Note that we can redirect visitors from an external URL to your lab site, so you can probably publicize "smithlab.ucsd.edu" if desired. Please read Registering a Non-UC San Diego Domain Name if applicable.
- Let us know who you want to be able to edit your site by including their UCSD email addresses.
- If you want to migrate content from an existing WordPress site, please export your content.
When requesting your site, please be aware there is a two (2) week turnaround for the initial setup from the date your request is received.
- Support for pages, blogs, photos, video, audio
- Standard templates
- Standard set of approved plugins that add functionality to your site
- Social media integration for sharing/linking content
- Site analytics
- Site backups (kept for 90 days)
- Site maintenance provided- WordPress CMS, theme and plugin updates
- Sarah N. Giddings Lab (Stacks theme)
- Deheyn Lab (Stacks theme)
- Marine Bioacoustics Lab (Stacks theme)
- Latz Laboratory (Stacks theme)
- Allen Lab (Stacks theme)
- Tresguerres Lab (Stacks theme)
- CNAP (X theme)
- Shore Stations (X theme)
- Ramanathan (H-Code theme)
Learn more about WordPress by visiting the online manual (WordPress Codex), a living repository for WordPress information and documentation.
Once the initial site has been setup, we will then contact you to sort out any details and schedule general training for you and your site editors.