Scripps Web Operations provides basic WordPress sites at no charge to Principal Investigators or staff members managing labs, projects, or expeditions.
WordPress at Scripps Oceanography
Sample sites by Scripps researchers and groups:
- Straneo Research Group
- Deheyn Lab
- Scripps Isotope Geochemistry Laboratory
- US GO-SHIP
- Master of Advanced Studies Program in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation
- Masters of Advanced Studies in Climate Science and Policy
- Greenland Ice Sheet Ocean Science Network
All of our sites are now built using the customizable X Theme and share the same code base and simple family of WordPress plugins.
- We provide initial setup and basic training, but you will be responsible for creating and adding your content (i.e. text and images, etc.)
- All sites show up under the ucsd.edu domain.
- If you find you need more than WordPress can provide — data repositories, interactive features — you can opt for external hosting, theming, and programming. However, please note, that the Web Group will not be able to provide support.
What you need to do
- Let us know your preferred site name, such as "Jane Smith Lab" or "Jane Smith's Time Lab."
- Let us know your preferred URL, such as "smithlab.ucsd.edu" or "timelab.ucsd.edu." If it's not already taken by someone else at UCSD, we can use it.
- Let us know who you want to be able to edit your site by including their UCSD email addresses.
- If you want to migrate content from an existing WordPress site, please export your content.
When requesting your site, please be aware there is a three (3) week turnaround for the initial setup from the date your request is received.
- Support for pages, blogs, photos, video, audio
- Standard templates
- Standard set of approved plugins that add functionality to your site
- Social media integration for sharing/linking content
- Site analytics
- Site backups (kept for 90 days)
- Site maintenance provided- WordPress CMS, theme and plugin updates
Learn more about WordPress by visiting the online manual (WordPress Codex), a living repository for WordPress information and documentation.
Once the initial site has been setup, we will then contact you to sort out any details and schedule general training for you and your site editors.