The military has long been interested in bioluminescence. For a while the U.S. Navy was a major supporter of ocean research in bioluminescence. Did you know that the last German U-boat sunk during World War I was detected based on the bioluminescence it stimulated? A recent article in the online magazine Atlas Obscura relates that story, and discusses the history of U.S. Navy and Soviet interest in ocean bioluminescence.
- Article about Infinity Cube, a Bioluminescence Art Exhibit
- Why is the Iconic Bioluminescent Dinoflagellate Noctiluca not Bioluminescent along the West Coast of the USA?
- Article on Puerto Rico Bioluminescent Bays
- Article on the Art and Science of Bioluminescence
- Remembering Physicist and Educator Dr. Jim Rohr