- Practicing ocean, climate and other natural scientists
- Science policy analysts and advocates
- Communications specialists
- Financial experts
- Insurance officers
- Environmental engineers and military officers
- Experts in the energy sector
- Managers of utility services
- Environmental law practitioners
- Managers in Cleantech and related industries from all regions of the world
The Climate Science and Policy Admissions Committee reviews all applications holistically and considers the following required items:
- Statement of Purpose (~750 words) - Applicants should describe individual strengths and interests, as well as their rationale for applying to the MAS program at Scripps as opposed to other programs. Applicants should also explain how the program will further their career goals in terms of their field of interest, desired occupation, and future plans.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a 3.0 GPA minimum.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae. Work experience in climate science, environmental policy, or a related field is recommended.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- College Transcripts (unofficial for application. Applicants will submit official transcripts if admitted)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): for international applicants only. Minimum score is 85 (iBT) or 550 (PBT), or 7 IELTS
- The GRE is not required. You may submit GRE/GMAT results if you feel they will greatly strengthen your application.
- The application asks for preliminary Capstone ideas. Applications do not need to include an endorsement of a Capstone advisor and reaching out to faculty is not expected.
Application Procedures & Timeline
The application for the 2020-2021 cohort is now open!
To begin the application, all students must create a UC San Diego account.
Under "Program Selector", please indicate:
Degree Type: Master of Advanced Studies
Program Interest: Climate Science and Policy,
Term: Summer 2020
Application opens - September 9, 2019
Early Consideration Deadline - January 15, 2020
Regular Admissions Deadline - March 16, 2020
Decisions Released - Mid-February-April
Program Dates - July 2020-June 2021
The application includes an application fee of $120 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents, and $140 for international applicants that can be paid with a major credit card. Applicants may qualify for a fee waiver upon verification of need-based federal aid, financial hardship, U.S. Military Service, or graduate prep program participation.
If you have any questions please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org