The Masters of Advanced Studies (MAS) in Climate Science and Policy (CSP) prepares students for interdisciplinary careers in governmental, non-governmental, and private-sector positions. CSP graduates are well-positioned to obtain jobs in local and other government and related organizations because of their abilities to put science at the service of policy. CSP graduates are also prepared to lead businesses in adapting and mitigating climate change in the coming years. Non-governmental and international organizations also will need professionals with CSP degrees to continue to support diverse and important socio-political interests as the physical climate places new constraints on world resources.
Career Development Opportunities
The CSP Program places great value on skill development and there are a wide array of resources and opportunities for students to take advantage of, including:
- UC San Diego Extension Courses - Several classes are available through UC San Diego Extension, including Project Management Bootcamp, Sustainability and Behavior Change, and a Public Speaking Certificate.
Note: Extension classes do not count towards the MAS CSP degree
- UC San Diego Media Teaching Lab - is dedicated to providing outstanding facilities, equipment, and technical assistance in subjects such as Sony Camera Workshop, Stop Motion Animation workshop, Location Sound Recording workshop, Video Compression workshop, and more!
- Micro-MBA - Gain tools for business concepts, network with business professionals, and become a part of the entrepreneurial science and tech community at Rady School of Management and Scripps!
- Entrepreneurship Certificate - 16-hr certificate program to learn effective tools, gain exposure to the culture of entrepreneurship, and have access to the mentorship of the UC San Diego's Entrepreneurs in Residence
- Scientific Diving Course - 100-hr course for anyone wishing to use SCUBA for their scientific research or employment
- On-going professional development workshops on topics including:
- Tableau Software
- USAID Job Portals
- Cover Letter
- Salary Negotiation
- and more!
The UC San Diego Career Services Center is poised to help students launch into careers they find deeply satisfying. Strengthen your search without leaving campus! The Career Center connects you to meaningful opportunities:
- Discover a new employer at their Career Fairs
- Practice your elevator pitch at their Networking Nights
- Get the inside scoop at Information Sessions
- Meet reps from top companies through On-Campus Interviews
- Explore thousands of job opportunities through Handshake
While most graduates find professional positions after completing the degree, a few graduates have also used the program to explore and develop interests in research and have chosen to extend their education to move into advanced degree programs or academic research at Scripps and other institutions.