The Marine Physical Laboratory is a laboratory of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography and is located within the restricted confines of the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center (SPAWAR), San Diego.
All visitors to MPL in Point Loma must sign in at the SPAWAR Visitor Reception Center and will be required to produce a photo identification card. An appropriate badge will be issued. The visitor will be met by the MPL point of contact and remain under constant escort.
Contracting or government agencies desiring their employee to visit MPL for classified discussions must submit a visit request through the Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS), SMO Code 9B9474, 3-5 working days prior to the actual visit to facilitate clearance processing.
The MPL point of contact will notify the Facility Security Officer of:
- Visitor's full legal name
- Name of visitor's facility
- Date and duration of the proposed visit (not to exceed 1 year)
- Purpose of visit
The MPL point of contact will be responsible for:
- Obtaining temporary badges for visitors
- Verifying the visitor's identification
- Providing constant escort
- Conducting the visit, including proper handling and safeguarding of materials or information, in accordance with the NISPOM and Facility Security Office policies