The schedule for RIVET dye and drifter releases have been tentatively schedule for:
- May 1, 2, 3, 4: Drifter Release Experiments
- May 5 : Turnaround Instrument Day
- May 6,7,8 : Dye Release Experiments with Airborne Dye Observations
- May 9th: Turnaround
- May 10,11, 12: Dye Release Experiments with Airborne Dye Observations
- May 13th : Turnaround
- May 14, 15, 16, 17: Drifter Release Experiments
- May 18th: Turnaround
- May 19, 20, 21: Dye Release Experiments: no airborne dye observations
Some details on the drifter and dye releases:
- SIO (Feddersen/Guza) have 30 surfzone capable GPS tracked (and transmitting to shore) drifters which will be released on drifter days. The plan is to release on ebb tide and track the drifters for as long as possible – hopefully into the flood tide. Please see earlier post on numerical simulations of drifters at New River Inlet.
- On the dye release days, we will be releasing 20-30 gallons/day of 23% Rhodamine WT dye. This will be tracked at fixed locations (WireWalkers, ADV, and ADCP locations) and via mobile platforms at the surface by jetskis (and plane), and subsurface by Boat and REMUS (Terrill).