Scientific divers visiting SIO/UCSD’s facilities or collaborating on SIO/UCSD research projects who are not affiliated with current AAUS organizational member institutions may request a temporary scientific diving authorization. This authorization may be issued to those demonstrating appropriate proficiency and can contribute measurable to a dive or diving project. It is restricted to an approved dive plan and for a specified duration.
A temporary scientific diving authorization will be considered by the SIO DSO upon receipt of the following documentation:
- SIO/UCSD Scientific Diver Application;
- SIO/UCSD Diving Medical Clearance;
- UCSD’s Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Indemnity Agreement;
- SCUBA certification card (minimum certification equivalent to Diver Rescue required);
- Dive Logs for past 12 months;
- Current Diving First Aid (CPR/AED, first aid, oxygen administration) training;
- Scuba regulator, gauges and buoyancy compensator annual maintenance;
- SIO/UCSD Dive Plan; and,
- Diving Accident Insurance Coverage.
The following scientific diving requirements may be required in coordination with the SIO/UCSD’s DSO:
- Written SIO Scientific Diver examination; and
- Performance of a satisfactory check-out dive with SIO/UCSD’s DSO, or designee.
All visiting divers shall comply with the diving regulations of the SIO/UCSD’s Manual for Diving Safety and shall file a copy of all dive logs for dives conducted in association with SIO/UCSD. The visiting diver shall not exceed the depth certification authorized by the DSO.