In 1903, members of the Scripps family and other community leaders chartered the Marine Biological Association of San Diego, building its first laboratory in La Jolla in 1905.
The marine lab was renamed the Scripps Institution for Biological Research and became part of the University of California in 1912. The UC Regents changed the name to Scripps Institution of Oceanography in 1925 in recognition of the breadth of research underway at the institution.
In 1960, the Regents established a San Diego campus of the University of California and Scripps became part of the University of California, San Diego.
Since its founding, the institution has expanded its scope to include studies of the physics, chemistry, geology, biology, and climate of the earth. Hundreds of research programs are underway today in a wide range of scientific areas on every continent and in every ocean.
Scripps Oceanography History Website
This supplementary site contains more than 1,000 Scripps-related historical materials not previously made available online. When retired Scripps librarian Peter Brueggeman approached Vice Chancellor Margaret Leinen with the idea that he take on a special project to put these items on a Scripps server, catalog them with metadata, and add additional Scripps historical materials, she happily agreed. These historical items—video clips, audio files, documents, and images—are made accessible to both the Scripps community and general public. More materials are being added with time.
Scripps Institution of Oceanography Archives
To access Scripps manuscripts and other archives visit the Scripps Institution of Oceanography Archives.