- Undergraduate Education
As a department of UC San Diego, Scripps Institution of Oceanography offers degrees, minors, and more than 45 undergraduate courses covering a breadth of earth and marine sciences on a variety of different levels.
There are several introductory classes for non-majors, as well as upper-division courses intended for students in natural science majors. In addition to formal coursework, dozens of undergraduates benefit each year from individual and group research projects with Scripps faculty and researchers.
The BS/MS Program is a rigorous and streamlined track leading to Bachelor of Science (BS) and Master of Science (MS). The program is available to UC San Diego undergraduates enrolled in majors at Scripps Institution of Oceanography or related fields.
Undergraduate student researchers are given the opportunity each year to showcase their research projects.
The Honors Program at Scripps Institution of Oceanography is available to a select number of UC San Diego undergraduates who have demonstrated excellence in the Marine Biology, Earth Sciences, or Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences majors.
UC San Diego undergraduate students have the opportunity to gain academic credit while working with Scripps faculty on current research and projects.
Check out some of the summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) programs offered at Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
These programs are active during the academic year and allow students an opportunity to obtain valuable research-oriented academic or professional preparation in virtually any academic major. Some programs also include opportunities for funding.
Scripps Undergraduate Instructional Improvement Grants support projects and innovations in undergraduate education at Scripps.
- Check out the Academic Internship Program (AIP) for more information on internship opportunities related to your academic and career goals.
- Visit UC San Diego's Career Center for guidance in determining and fulfilling your career goals.
- So You Think You Want to go to Graduate School? Check out the graduate school presentation hosted by Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
- COVID-19 Information for Students
- Advising is available via VAC and Zoom, see Contact Us section below for more information
Current UCSD Students:
Please submit your questions via the VAC. An advisor will respond to you within 1-3 business days.
Available Appointment Times: Monday - Thursday: 10:00AM - 11:30AM & 1:30PM - 3:00PM
Email a Scripps advisor and include your PID, brief description and 3 appointment times that work for you. An advisor will contact you to confirm your appointment time. All petitions and forms should also be sent to a Scripps advisor via email.
Scripps Institution of Oceanography Undergraduate Advisors
Sid Eads - Student Affairs Coordinator
Phone: 858-822-4604 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Karla Vega - Student Affairs Coordinator
Phone: 858-534-8157 / Email: email@example.com
- Program Areas
- How to Apply
- General Requirements for Admission
- Cost & Funding
- Doctoral Program Frequently Asked Questions
- Undergraduate Curriculum
- Environmental Systems Program
- How to Apply
- Jane Teranes - Scripps Undergraduate Research Fellowship (JT-SURF)
- Undergraduate Research Programs
- Student Mentor Program
- Student Spaces
- Current Students FAQ
- Financial Information for Current Students
- Graduate Resources at UC San Diego
- Graduate Student Awards
- Instructional Assistants
- Scripps Student Symposium
- Student Guide