Scripps Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)
What is Scripps' SURF REU program?
The Scripps Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) is a 10-week summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) designed to engage students in diverse and exciting earth, ocean and atmospheric sciences research at a world-renowned institution.
In particular, the SURF program seeks to increase the diversity of students successfully prepared to pursue Earth and ocean sciences career pathways, and to recruit individuals from institutions with limited undergraduate research opportunities.
Applicants of any race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, dis/ability or veteran status are welcome. Students who are members of a group that is historically under-represented in earth and ocean sciences, including students who are Hispanic/LatinX, Black or African American, Asian, Pacific Islander, American Indian or Alaska Native, and LGBTQIA+ are strongly encouraged to apply. Students who are first-generation, nontraditional, economically disadvantaged, veterans, or parents and students with disabilities are also strongly encouraged to apply.
SURF is supported with funding from the National Science Foundation, Division of Ocean Sciences.
Please NOTE: The SUMMER 2023 SURF program is CURRENTLY DEPENDENT ON FUNDING. UPDATED INFORMATION WILL BE ADDED TO THIS WEBSITE WHEN AVAILABLE.
- Gain valuable research experience under the collective mentorship of faculty, post-doctoral researchers and graduate students at Scripps
- Gain an understanding of the challenges, rewards and culture of graduate studies in the sciences
- Develop knowledge and skills to better prepare themselves for a successful career in earth and marine sciences
- Engage with the larger research community at Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- Participate in a weekly workshops on topics that including research and presentation skills, career options, and preparing for graduate school
- Present their research results as part of a student research symposium
- Have the opportunity to present the results of their summer research at a national conference
Areas of Research
The disciplinary breadth represented by the faculty and researchers at Scripps allows mentoring in virtually every aspect of marine sciences including biology, earth, oceans and atmosphere. More information on areas of research at Scripps.
- Feature story: SURF Program at Scripps Oceanography Wraps Up Another Successful Year in 2021
- SURF 2021 student profiles
- SURF 2020 student profiles
- Feature story: Scripps Oceanography’s 2020 SURF Program Continues During COVID-19
- Feature story: SURF Program Fosters Network of Support for Students to Continue to Graduate School (2019)
- SURF 2019 student profiles | 2019 Flickr gallery
- SURF 2018 student profiles | 2018 Flickr gallery
- Feature story: SURFing into Science Research (2017)
- SURF 2017 student profiles | 2017 Flickr gallery
- 2016 SURF student profiles | 2016 Flickr gallery
- 2015 SURF student profiles | 2015 Flickr gallery
- 2014 SURF student profiles | 2014 Flickr gallery
- Feature story: Summertime for the Adventurous (2014)