The application for the 2018 SURF program is now available.
What is the SURF REU program?
SURF is a 10-week summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) designed to engage students in diverse and exciting Earth, ocean and atmospheric sciences research at a world-renowned institution.
In particular, the SURF program seeks to increase the diversity of students successfully prepared to pursue Earth and ocean sciences career pathways, and to recruit individuals from institutions with limited undergraduate research opportunities.
SURF is supported with funding from the National Science Foundation, Division of Ocean Sciences.
- Gain valuable research experience under the collective mentorship of faculty, post-doctoral researchers and graduate students at Scripps
- Gain an understanding of the challenges, rewards and culture of graduate studies in the sciences
- Develop knowledge and skills to better prepare themselves for a successful career in earth and marine sciences
- Engage with the larger research community at Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- Participate in a weekly research training workshop and a GRE preparation course
- Present their research results as part of a student research symposium
- Have the opportunity to present their results of their summer research at a national conference
Areas of Research
The disciplinary breadth represented by the faculty and researchers at Scripps allows mentoring in virtually every aspect of marine sciences including biology, earth, oceans and atmosphere. Information on the areas of research and faculty mentors available for SURF Fellows for 2017 can be found here. More information on areas of research at Scripps can be found here.
SURF 2017 student profiles | 2017 Flickr gallery