These are the steps required to request and plan for a cruise aboard a Scripps research vessel. If you have any questions, please contact the Research Vessel Expeditionary Coordinator - RVEC Hannah Delapp.
When you request funding
- Submit a UNOLS Ship Time Request Form
- Remember to request travel funds to attend a precruise meeting in San Diego.
- Include funds for marine technical services that are not included in the standard vessel day rate. For more information contact Lee Ellett.
- Will your work require foreign clearance or a permit of any kind? If so, you should consider the resources and time that will be required, and account for them in your proposal. The Scripps ship scheduling office can refer you to knowledgeable information sources. Email Hannah Delapp - Research Vessel Expeditionary Coordinator - RVEC.
After you are funded
- Request foreign clearances at least 7 months before cruise: email Hannah Delapp - Research Vessel Expeditionary Coordinator - RVEC.
- Request a precruise meeting at Scripps: email Hannah Delapp - Research Vessel Expeditionary Coordinator - RVEC.
- Reserve portable winches or laboratory vans, if needed: UNOLS maintains shared-use vans and winches that are available on a first-come, first-served basis. For assistance making a reservation, email the Scripps ResTech Group
Before your precruise meeting
- Log in to the Scripps cruise planning portal to complete the following:
- Invite participants to the cruise
- Access and complete the required forms for sailing
- Set up profile with a government-issued ID (passport required for international voyages)
- Upload cruise plan and any cruise related references or documentation
- View the sailing captain and technicians
- Invite participants to the cruise
- Complete & submit a cruise planning checklist (to be provided by Scripps Ship Scheduling Office)
- Familiarize yourself and your scientific party with SIO ship operations policies and procedures.
- Contact Scripps technicians regarding
- Loading plan for deck & interior spaces: email Scripps Research Technician Group
- Special fabrication or engineering needs: email Scripps Research Technician Group
- Winch & wire needs: email Scripps Research Technician Group
- Customs requirements for scientific equipment: email Scripps Research Technician Group
- Shipping gear to the vessel? Please refer to these instructions:
- Review US export control restrictions:
- Deploying a buoy? The USCG requires that PIs follow certain guidelines.
- Using isotopes? If so, please read the following:
- Isotope use aboard Scripps research vessel
- Stable isotopes on Scripps ships
- Request to use isotopes aboard Scripps vessels (Scripps scientists): Fillable PDF form
- Request an Isotope Laboratory Van: email Gary Lain - Scripps Radiation Safety Officer
- Lithium batteries require special safety considerations. Please read the following:
- Planning to use scientific diving in your program? If so, please read and submit the following:
- Planning to use your own portable winch and oceanographic wire?
- Planning to conduct a personnel transfer at sea?
- You need permission from the Marine Superintendent: email Zoltan Kelety
One month prior to sailing
- Submit information for Notices to Mariners as follows:
- Local Notices to Mariners (as applicable):
- Obtain clearance to work inside U.S. Navy operations areas:
Two weeks prior to sailing
- Ensure that each participating scientist has entered all required information for this cruise on the Scripps cruise planning portal
- Submit (through the portal) your agreement with our policies regarding maintaining a respectful work environment and zero tolerance of drugs & alcohol on board
- Watch the videos Shipboard Civility: Fostering a Respectful Workplace Environment, a two-video series produced by NOAA and the NSF, which are required viewing for all participants embarking aboard UNOLS-designated vessels.
- Familiarize yourself with general UNOLS seagoing safety practices: UNOLS Safety Training Manual, Research Party Supplement
Submit these immediately after your cruise
- UNOLS post-cruise assessment: web-based form
- Foreign clearance preliminary cruise report (send to Scripps Ship scheduling): PDF | MS Word
Attached file: SIO Guidelines for Shipboard Lithium Battery Use