These are the steps required to request and plan for a cruise aboard a Scripps research vessel. If you have any questions, please contact the Scripps Ship Scheduler, Liz Brenner.
When you request funding:
- Submit a UNOLS Ship Time Request Form
- Remember to request travel funds to attend a precruise meeting in San Diego.
- Include funds for marine technical services that are not included in the standard vessel day rate. For more information contact Lee Ellett.
After you are funded:
- Request foreign clearances at least 7 months before cruise: email Elizabeth Brenner - Scripps Ship Scheduler/Clearance Officer
- Request a precruise meeting at Scripps: email Elizabeth Brenner - Scripps Ship Scheduler/Clearance Officer
- Reserve portable winches or laboratory vans, if needed: UNOLS maintains shared-use vans and winches that are available on a first-come, first-served basis. For assistance making a reservation, email the Scripps ResTech Group
Before your precruise meeting:
Log in to the Scripps cruise planning portal where you should:
- Upload your cruise plan
- Identify/invite scientific participants
- Access and fill out required waivers, forms and notices
- Download/complete/submit a cruise planning guide: XLS
- Read and submit a Scripps Data Distribution form: PDF format
Contact Scripps technicians regarding
- Loading plan for deck & interior spaces: email Scripps Research Technician Group
- Special fabrication or engineering needs: email Scripps Research Technician Group
- Winch & wire needs: email Scripps Research Technician Group
- Customs requirements for scientific equipment: email Scripps Research Technician Group
- Shipping gear to the vessel? Please refer to these instructions:
- Review US export control restrictions:
- Deploying a buoy? The USCG requires that PIs follow certain guidelines.
Using isotopes? If so, please read the following:
- Isotope use aboard Scripps research vessel
- Request to use isotopes aboard Scripps vessels (Scripps scientists): Fillable PDF form
- Request an Isotope Laboratory Van: email Gary Lain - Scripps Radiation Safety Officer
- Lithium batteries require special safety considerations. Please read the following:
- Planning to use scientific diving in your program? If so, please read and submit the following:
- Planning to use your own portable winch and oceanographic wire?
One month prior to sailing:
- Submit information for Notices to Mariners as follows:
- Local Notices to Mariners (as applicable):
- Obtain clearance to work inside U.S. Navy operations areas:
Two weeks prior to sailing:
- Insure that each participating scientist has entered all required information for this cruise on the Scripps cruise planning portal
Submit these immediately after your cruise: