Shipboard Technical Support (STS) provides specialized expertise, personnel, instrumentation and support services to scientists that use oceanographic research vessels.
STS also designs, builds and sells specialized equipment and instruments unavailable on the commercial market.
STS is composed of groups that each provide a distinct set of services and expertise:
- Lee Ellett
- Business Office
- Located at the Nimitz Marine Facility, provides internal business services.
- Computing Resources Group
- Manages and maintains STS computing resources.
- Oceanographic Data Facility
- Provides hydrographic measurements and support services.
- Shipboard Electronics Group
- Designs and develops instrumentation; Maintains and repairs electronic equipment.
- Marine Research Technician (ResTech) Group
- Oversees deck operations; Manages mechanical instrumentation
- Shipboard Geophysical Group
- Provides seismic services.
- STS Calibration Laboratory
- Provides temperature and pressure calibrations
- CLIVAR/WOCE Hydrographic Data Office