- Reimbursement for Food for Events/Hosting a Speaker
- Marketplace and Supply Purchases
- Attending a Conference
- Travel Card
- Travel Health Insurance
Please submit receipts for any food items to Maureen McGreevy with the following:
- A list of all attendees (Names and titles/affiliations)
- Reason for the event (Seminar, Q & A session, etc)
- The following info:
- Group (MB, Earth, Cohort, etc)
- Speakers’ name and institution
- Discussion topic / Seminar title
- Location of event
If purchasing lab equipment or materials for research, please contact your lab’s grant manager in your business office and provide the following:
- Index number to be reimbursed from
* If you do not know the index number, please contact your adviser.
2. Explanation of what items are and will be used for
Although Marketplace is not a very user-friendly website, it has the advantage that budgets can be charged directly, so you do not have to wait to be reimbursed. This page has a tutorial on how to purchase items from Marketplace.
Please submit a receipt to the business contact with the above information. If you charged the purchase to your own credit card, you will be reimbursed. Some labs also have Express cards through UCSD with which purchases can be made, ask your advisor for more information.
Expenses covered in advance:
- Before you contact the travel agency (Connexxus Travel or Balboa Travel Agency), you need to set up an event number.
- You can apply for a cash advance by contacting your grant manager or Maureen McGreevy
- To expedite the flight booking process, you can provide the travel agent with flight numbers so that they do not need to search their database.
Expenses reimbursed after travel:
- Please provide all receipts.
- Meals (maximum of $71/day domestic; $114/day international)
- Ground transportation (subway, trains, taxi)
- Airline baggage fees
- Airline and hotel expenses paid out-of-pocket
CASPO provides some guidelines that may be useful to all students. Be sure to check with your business office as there may be different procedures!
Traveling through an advisor’s grant
Expenses for business-related travel will be reimbursed. Before any business-related travel, you MUST complete the student travel form and contact your grant manager in your business office with your dates of travel and the purpose.
Traveling through an SIO Department Travel Grant
SIO Departmental Grants are competitively awarded based on a short proposal for budgets up to $3000. There are three deadlines per year for the proposals: February 1, May 1, October 1.
You may be eligible for a UCSD travel card, which would allow you to charge your travel expenses onto the card and have them be reimbursed directly by grants. There is no routine reporting to credit bureaus, unless any portion of your account balance is 90 days or more past due. Ask your business office for more information.
UC SHIP provides worldwide coverage. Emergency or urgent care does not require a referral from the Student Health Services (SHS); you should seek care from the nearest emergency room or urgent care center.
Please note that referral requirements still apply for non-urgent care when you are away from campus. Please contact SHS for information on how to obtain a referral.
While traveling in the United States, you will pay less out of pocket for care when you use a Blue Cross network provider. You can locate a Blue Cross network provider in any state on the Anthem web site UC SHIP benefits levels are the same throughout the United States.
While traveling abroad, you will likely have to use a non-network provider and pay out of pocket for care, then file a claim to UC SHIP for reimbursement. UC SHIP covers most out-of-network care at 60% of Customary and Reasonable (C&R) charges (emergency care is covered at 100% of C&R charges). Any amount above the allowed percentage of C&R charges is the plan member’s responsibility. Benefits provided abroad are coordinated by BlueCard Worldwide.
Additional information on out-of-state and out-of-country coverage.
In addition to UC SHIP, the University provides a travel accident policy for students traveling on University business. The travel policy is provided at no additional cost to the students.