Visit UCSD Study Abroad for detailed information on Study Abroad opportunities!
- If you are considering Study Abroad courses, it's important to meet with your major advisor early to discuss how it might fit in with your academic plan.
- Remember, programs and requirements change constantly. Visit the program or university website for the most up-to-date information.
- If you do not meet the minimum GPA requirement, contact the program or university directly to find out if an exception can be made.
- Summer only programs: remember to check the calendar! Many programs begin in early June, before UC San Diego spring quarter finishes.
Global Exchange programs with international partners:
University of Southampton: UC San Diego Global Exchange Program
This prestigious university on England’s southern coast (a little more than an hour from London) is one of the top 100 universities in the world. Southampton is an excellent choice for students who want to study in an English-speaking country with access to travel throughout Europe and extensive course offerings relevant to students in Scripps majors.
Previously Petitioned Courses for SIO Majors:
This list is not inclusive of all courses eligible for major credit. Petitions must be submitted for all courses and credit within the major is not guaranteed.
- UC EAP University of Queensland - Marine Biology & Terrestrial Ecology
- Marine Biology: 1 Lab Elective and 2 Upper Division Electives
Examples of Field Research Programs Abroad:
Programs for Academic Credit
UC EAP: uceap.universityofcalifornia.edu
- Costa Rica- Tropical Biology & Conservation (Fall/Spring)
- Southern Chile- Socio-Ecological Sustainability (Fall)
- Singapore- Biodiversity (Summer)
- Australia- Marine Biology & Terrestrial Ecology (Fall)
- Australia/Solomon Islands- Environmental & Community Health (Spring)
- Italy- Field Studies in Volcanology (Summer)
- School for Field Studies: www.fieldstudies.org
- Programs in Panama, Turks & Caicos, Australia, New Zealand, Kenya/Tanzania, Costa Rica.
- New Climate Change program in Chile.
- CIEE: http://www.ciee.org
- Programs in Costa Rica (same program as EAP Costa Rica Trop Bio), Australia Tropical Ecology Summer (check dates)
- Wildlands: www.wildlandsstudies.com
- Quarter programs all over the world. All involve camping and hiking.
- School for International Training (SIT): www.sit.edu
- Australia, Brazil, Ecuador, Madagascar, Panama, Tanzania
- SEA Semester: sea.edu
- Live and study on a 134-foot sailing vessel. Programs focus on marine and environmental Studies.
- Organization for Tropical Studies: tropicalstudies.org
- Costa Rica and South Africa
- Broadreach College: www.gobroadreach.com
- DIS Study Abroad in Scandinavia: disabroad.org/copenhagen/programs/sustainability
- Sustainability program in Copenhagen
Programs for Non-Academic Credit
- Earth Watch: earthwatch.org/expeditions/browse
- Maderas Rainforest Conservancy: www.maderasrfc.org