Visit UCSD Study Abroad for detailed information on Study Abroad opportunities!
- If you are considering Study Abroad courses, it's important to meet with your major advisor early to discuss how it might fit in with your academic plan.
- Remember, programs and requirements change constantly. Visit the program or university website for the most up-to-date information.
- If you do not meet the minimum GPA requirement, contact the program or university directly to find out if an exception can be made.
- Summer only programs: remember to check the calendar! Many programs begin in early June, before UC San Diego spring quarter finishes.
Previously Petitioned Courses for SIO Majors:
This list is not inclusive of all courses eligible for major credit. Petitions must be submitted for all courses and credit within the major is not guaranteed.
- UC EAP University of Queensland - Marine Biology & Terrestrial Ecology
- Marine Biology: 1 Lab Elective and 2 Upper Division Electives
Examples of Field Research Programs Abroad:
Programs for Academic Credit
UC EAP: uceap.universityofcalifornia.edu
- Costa Rica- Tropical Biology & Conservation (Fall/Spring)
- Southern Chile- Socio-Ecological Sustainability (Fall)
- Singapore- Biodiversity (Summer)
- Australia- Marine Biology & Terrestrial Ecology (Fall)
- Australia/Solomon Islands- Environmental & Community Health (Spring)
- School for Field Studies: http://www.fieldstudies.org/
- Programs in Panama, Turks & Caicos, Australia, New Zealand, Kenya/Tanzania, Costa Rica.
- New Climate Change program in Chile.
- CIEE: http://www.ciee.org
- Programs in Costa Rica (same program as EAP Costa Rica Trop Bio), Australia Tropical Ecology Summer (check dates)
- Wildlands: http://www.wildlandsstudies.com/
- Quarter programs all over the world. All involve camping and hiking.
- School for International Training (SIT): http://www.sit.edu
- Australia, Brazil, Ecuador, Madagascar, Panama, Tanzania
- SEA Semester: http://www.sea.edu/
- Live and study on a 134-foot sailing vessel. Programs focus on marine and environmental Studies.
- Organization for Tropical Studies: https://tropicalstudies.org/
- Costa Rica and South Africa
- Broadreach College: www.broadreachcollege.com
- DIS Study Abroad in Scandinavia: https://disabroad.org/copenhagen/programs/sustainability
- Sustainability program in Copenhagen