MPL Summer Internship Program
The Marine Physical Laboratory (MPL) at world-renowned Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO) seeks inquisitive motivated undergraduates with exceptional aptitude for quantitative science, majoring in engineering, physics, applied mathematics, chemistry, biology, geology or related majors.
Undergraduate college students contemplating a career in scientific research and development are encouraged to apply for a summer research internship in marine science and technology. This ten-week summer internship program offers qualified students the opportunity to work with some of the most notable scientists in the world while earning a modest salary. In addition to their research, students will attend weekly seminars given by members of our faculty and scientific staff.
Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents currently enrolled in their first, second, or third year of undergraduate status. Senior year undergrads, former MPL interns, and high school applicants are not eligible.
Application Procedure - The Application period has closed
Applications were due January 14, 2022, at 4 p.m. Pacific time. Selected applicants may be notified by email as early as February 3, 2022. All applicants will have been notified by email by the end of April. Please check back mid-fall to submit your application for the 2023 MPL Summer Internship Program.
- Statement of interest, including anticipated date of graduation
- Academic records / unofficial transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation from current / recent professors
We are planning for a 2022 MPL Summer Internship program. However, due to the uncertainty with the COVID-19 pandemic and depending on the pandemic situation as we get closer to summer, it is possible the program could be cancelled. We will update this MPL website in late May 2022 with a status for the program.
- Internship Program FAQ
- Intern Research - Check Out Former MPL Interns' Research Topics, Responsibilities and More
- Intern Feedback
- Research Topics - Peruse Some of the Research Topics MPL Scientists Are Working On
- Training Tomorrow’s Scientists: the Marine Physical Laboratory Internship Program - 2018 MPL Summer Internship Program in the News
- Internship Program Flyer