About the Geosciences Research Division
The Geosciences Research Division (GRD) is home to a diverse set of academics and staff whose interests cover a wide variety of topics in the atmospheric, marine, and solid Earth sciences.
In many cases, these topics are cross-disciplinary, but they include essential components of the following core themes:
- The geochemistry of the solid, liquid and gaseous Earth
- Cosmochemistry (meteorites, asteroids and other planetary bodies)
- Paleoceanography and paleoclimate
- Stratigraphy and sedimentology
- Geobiology and paleoecology
- Global and regional tectonics
Research activities encompass modeling studies, laboratory experiments, and field-based expeditions, including ship-time, with GRD members taking full advantage of the extensive research facilities on offer within the division and at Scripps Institution of Oceanography.