Women and Minorities in Science (WMIS)
Women and Minorities in Science (WMIS) is a collection of colleagues dedicated to fostering and promoting an equitable and inclusive environment at SIO and within the larger scientific community. WMIS encourages the participation of anyone who supports minoritized groups and women in science and wishes to work towards a more equitable, equal, and inclusive community.
Follow WMIS on Twitter and Instagram, join us on Slack, or sign up for our mailing list. Email the leadership team with questions or ideas for events at email@example.com. Public listserv postings should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What We Do
- Community Building & Group Discussions
Growing up in Science Seminar Series
Invited speakers discuss the personal side of their journey in science, highlighting the role of luck, failures, and perseverance.
Student Seminar Series
Students share brief, informal talks about a topic of their choice.
Skill Share Series
SIO community members share a skill (recipe, craft, hobby) with WMIS members.
Friday co-working session with 'accountabili-buddies'.
Group Social Events
- Sip 'n Swap (exchange of ideas and books/essays/articles + drinks)
- Multicultural Potluck, Holiday Cookie Exchange
Film Screenings & Discussions
e.g. More than a Word, Hidden Figures, Picture a Scientist
- Student Advocacy at SIO
- New Student Welcome / 10 Things I Wish I Knew about SIO
- WMIS Mentorship Program (coming soon!)
- History of Women and Minorities at SIO
- Career Development & Science Communication
- SciComm Series w/ the SIO Comms Office (Op-eds, Media Training, Twitter for Science)
- Conference Presentation Practices (e.g. for Ocean Sciences and AGU)
- Postdoc Panel
- Personal Science Website Building and Design Seminar
- Outreach Activities
- Garibaldi Bowl
- San Diego Science Fair
- Astronaut Jessica Meir Livestream Event at SIO