Martin Johnson House FAQ

Can you tell me about catering?

There is an approved caterers list that you can choose from. Caterers on the list can provide a wide range of menus, at varying price levels to meet your budget.  Please contact caterers prior to contracting so you have an idea on how much an event at our venue may cost as outside caterers will not be allowed


Are site visits available?

Yes, site visits can be scheduled by contacting (858-534-5604). We will do our best to schedule a site visit that is convenient for you.


How much time do I have for my event?

All events must end at 10 p.m. with one hour of cleanup until 11 p.m.  Cleanup exceeding one hour will be billed at a rate of $350 per hour.


What about music - either recorded or live?

Due to the close proximity of the Martin Johnson House to the local neighborhood, strict sound restrictions are in place. Although music (both live and recorded) is allowed, the music must be contained at an acceptable sound level so as not to disturb the local surrounding area. Music may be played outside of your venue, up to a decibel level of 85. Your Special Events Manager can assist you in setting the proper sound level and verifying with a dB meter. Any complaints from neighbors or other parties may require these levels to be reduced further.


Is smoking allowed onsite?

UC San Diego, along with all the UC campuses, became a tobacco and smoke-free campus in January 2014. This means that smoking, use of smokeless tobacco products, the use of unregulated nicotine products and the use of electronic smoking devices is strictly prohibited on all University controlled properties. This includes the Martin Johnson House, our surrounding streets and parking lots. Under state law, public colleges and universities can determine if they want to fine violators and, if so, the amount of the fine; not to exceed $100.


What about alcohol?

The management and distribution of alcohol at your event is required to be performed by a licensed bartending company. The Regents’ list of approved caterers can provide this service for you. Although the bartending service will manage the distribution of alcohol, the Client is ultimately responsible for the safety of all its invitees, guests, agents or sub-contractors, including the distribution and consumption of alcohol.


Are weddings scheduled every day of the week?

Weddings will only be scheduled on Saturdays and Sundays.


How do I find out if the Martin Johnson House is available?

View our online calendar or contact Scripps Venue Rentals. Our on-line calendar is up-to-date and dates marked busy have already been reserved.


Telephone: 858-534-5604


Inquiry form