Welcome to Scripps Oceanography
For new or prospective faculty, we tried to put a short guide together to help you navigate your initial days as Scripps more efficiently. Here, you will find what we thought was most important, but also encourage you to explore the SIO Faculty Handbook, which provides more extensive information on various aspects of the institution. Bookmark it and provide feedback if we forgot anything!
GETTING STARTED CHECKLIST
- Contact your Section Chief Administrative Office (CAO), identified in your startup letter.
- Questions regarding startup/spending
- Meet with your relevant IT Group to set up your computers and email
- Get your keys from your Section Facilities Manager
- Meet with Fund Manager and Grant/Proposal Manager
- Proposal processes
- Contract & grant spending
- Travel, equipment and purchasing processes
- Meet with section HR personnel
- Hiring for staff, students, visitors, postdocs
- Check out your transportation and parking options through Transportation Services. Be sure to indicate you will be parking at Scripps to obtain authorization to park in Scripps lots.
CONTACTS BY TOPIC:
- Contracts & Grants: CAO or Fund Manager
- Equipment Purchases: Fund Manager
- Finances: Fund Manager
- Funding opportunities: Mentor, Fund Manager or SIO Contracts & Grants
- Hiring Staff, Students, Visitors, Postdocs: CAO or Section HR Manager
- Human Resources: Section HR Manager
- IT Setup: Scripps IT at email@example.com or
- IGPP at https://igpp.ucsd.edu/computing/forms/help
- Lab/Office Space and Renovations: CAO or Vikki Cutri (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Moves: CAO
- Proposals: CAO or SIO Contracts & Grants
- Purchasing: Fund Manager
- Startup Spending Questions: Fund Manager
- Teaching: SIO Department Chair Sarah Gille (email@example.com)
- Travel: Fund Manager
INSTITUTIONAL INFORMATION RESOURCES
- Scripps Website: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/
- Scripps Faculty Handbook: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/faculty-handbook
- Employee Resources: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/resources-and-facilities/employee-resources (Includes general information, policies, presentations, etc.)
- Scripps Policies: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/portal/scripps-policies
- Scripps Oceanography Research Profiles: https://scrippsprofiles.ucsd.edu/
Portal to manage your research profile
- Research Facilities Website: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/research/research-facilities
Includes various facilities at Scripps
- Laboratory Safety: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/safety/research-lab
Check here for mandatory lab trainings
All public mailing lists on siomail.ucsd.edu are located at siomail.ucsd.edu Mailing Lists.
SIO Shuttle Information
The SIO Shuttle connects the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Birch Aquarium and the beach at Scripps Seaside Forum to the Central Campus at the Gilman Transit Center with a walking connection to the UC San Diego Blue Line Trolley at the Central Campus Station. Additional information can be found at SIO Shuttle
TG: Fridays at SIO
TG is a weekly social event held by the beach at Scripps Institution of Oceanography since the 60s. Come join us and relax at the end of the week. Consider signing up as a member or donating to help keep this tradition alive! Information can be found at siotgif.org.
Caroline’s Cafe - How To Get a Discount
Caroline's Seaside Café by Giuseppe is located at the Scripps Forum. Add promo code “UCSD” to the online ordering site to get a discount.
Pinpoint Cafe is centrally located on the Scripps campus outside the Eckart Building. Menu items include, breakfast sandwiches, burritos, salads, pastries, snacks, smoothies, acai bowls, coffee, coffee and more coffee.
Check out the UCSD Faculty Resources
- Housing Resources offers links to information about housing resources for faculty and staff.
- Faculty housing assistance includes the Mortage Origination Program and the Faculty Recruitment Allowance Program (eligibility is limited).
Family and child care
- Review Academic Affairs' family accommodation policies and programs to help balance the needs of an academic career and family.
- Child care resources include part- and full-time day care, camps, recreation programs, a lactation program, and referrals to area child care providers.
DisAbility Counseling and Consulting (DCC) assists with job accommodations, vocational rehabilitation, and other disability-related issues.
- Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) offers individual counseling as well as classes and seminars.
- FSAP also offers eldercare resources.
- The Ombuds Office facilitates communication and assists people with concerns that arise at the university.
- Get help with conflict management and resolution.
UCSD Teaching + Learning Commons
The Teaching + Learning Commons provides services, support, and resources to advance teaching at UC San Diego.