Scripps Information Technology provides IT support services to the entire Scripps community: students, staff, faculty, volunteers, and visitors.
- Network registration and connection configuration
- Email and account provisioning and setup
- Access to printers
- Software and hardware installation and troubleshooting
In addition, an hourly recharge service will be available to the Scripps’ research community to provide solutions for more complex IT issues, such as hardware repair, disk drive imaging, operating system and application software re-installation, etc.
Scripps IT also provides server systems administration and hosting, and data storage and backup services on a monthly recharge basis. (See appendix below for the catalog of services.)
Hours of Operation: Mon–Fri 7:30am–5:00pm
Eckart Building, Room 150 | 8755 Biological Grade La Jolla, CA 92307
Phone, Walk-in, and On-Site Support
Computer Registration, Network Connectivity, and Security
- Configure computer on UCSD wired and/or wireless network including port activation
- Secure computer for compliance with UCSD Network Security Standards
Hardware and Software Troubleshooting and Assistance
- Initial help with hardware and software diagnostics
- Coordinate computer repair
- Computer surplus & disposal
Supported Operating Systems
- Mac OS X
- Microsoft Windows
- (OS License supplied by user or vendor)
- OS and software installation and configuration
- See software section for complete listing
- Centralized building printer access
- High quality color printing
- Software installation/troubleshooting (non-routine)
- Linux install, setup, and configuration (non-server)
- Installation of virtual machine software on desktop/laptop
- Lab and field computer configuration and troubleshooting
- Coordinate and perform computer repair and troubleshooting
Malware and Virus Removal
- Diagnose and repair
Lab computers or computers attached to lab equipment without any user management. Scripps IT will insure that the managed computer will remain in compliance with UCSD Network Security Standards by installing routine security patches and attending to virus abatement.
The following services will be provided on a per machine monthly charge:
User Management and Provisioning
- Including file system permissions and support
Patch Monitoring and Mitigation
- Including scheduling installations, reboots and roll backs
Sophos Installation and Monitoring
- Includes virus clean up and disinfection
Scripps IT has made CrashPlan PROe backup software available to the SIO community for $100/year. Unlimited backups for laptops and desktops machines in Code42 Cloud Storage.
Our individual backup system is to ensure recovery of local data but should not be a substitution for the integrity that you will get by making use of our network storage offering.
- $100/year per individual with unlimited cloud backup storage.
- Up to 4 devices per individual license.
- Provided for laptop and desktop machines.
- Mac, Linux, Windows
Free and for-purchase software is available to Scripps Oceanography faculty, staff, and students under specially negotiated licenses.
- Matlab- available to faculty, staff and students. View Download and Installation Instructions.
Concurrent License: Provided at no cost under the Scripps Oceanography concurrent license, this is available if connected through the campus virtual private network (VPN).
Standalone License: Available directly from vendor. This license is for offline usage i.e. onboard ship or remote field locations.
- UCSD Google Apps
- Other resources: Campus Software Distribution and UCSD Bookstore
Antivirus: Install/Set up virus protection and anti-theft apps
Patch and Update Management: Central monitoring of updates with notifications
- Request anti-theft devices
- Report theft, loss or damage to property - Learn how to file for insurance reimbursement when department-owned property has been stolen, lost, damaged or destroyed.
Policies: UCSD minimum network security standards