Scripps IT Help Desk provides support to faculty, staff, and students
Hours of Operation: Mon–Fri 7:30am–5:00pm
Eckart Building | 8755 Biological Grade La Jolla, CA 92307
Computer Setup & Upgrades
We set up university-owned computers with standard operating systems and applications for supported staff, faculty, and graduate students. We can upgrade your computer to a newer version of its OS.
We install software for our managed site licenses on university-owned computers and help install other software you have purchased.
Having problems with your computer? We can help diagnose and resolve computer issues.
Computer Surplus & Disposal
When computer equipment is no longer useful, we can prepare computers for surplus or e-waste including securely erasing data.
Scripps IT Policy
All computers connected to the UC San Diego wired and wireless network must comply with the Minimum Network Security Standards
Phone, Walk-in, and On-Site Support
Computer Registration and Network Connectivity And Security
- Configure computer on UCSD wired and/or wireless network
- Secure computer for compliance with UCSD Network Security Standards
Hardware and Software Troubleshooting and Assistance
- Initial help with hardware and software diagnostics
- Coordinate computer repair
- Computer Surplus & Disposal
Supported Operating Systems
- Mac OS X
- Microsoft Windows
- (OS License supplied by user or vendor)
- OS and software installation and configuration
- See software section for complete listing
- Centralized building printer access
- High quality color printing
- Lab, Centers, Programs and Group sites hosted within Scripps’ Wordpress service
- Simple HTML-based sites hosted
- Software installation/troubleshooting (non-routine)
- Linux install, setup, and configuration (non-server)
- Installation of virtual machine on desktop/laptop
- Lab and field computer configuration and troubleshooting
- Computer virus and malware cleanup
- Software Installation/troubleshooting (non-routine)
- Coordinate computer repair and troubleshooting
- Crashplan Pro service for desktop and laptop computers.
- Linux systems configuration & administration
- System rebuilds due to security breaches or hacking incidents
- Monthly per TB fee-based storage
- NFS/CIFS hosting: Monthly Fees, TBD
- Disaster recovery offsite copy
Free and for-purchase software is available to Scripps Oceanography faculty, staff, and students under specially negotiated licenses.
- MatLab (Provided at no cost under the Scripps Oceanography concurrent license)
- UCSD Google Apps
- Adobe CS (Available for purchase)
- Microsoft Office
Antivirus: Install/Set up virus protection and anti-theft apps
- Request anti-theft devices
- Report theft, loss or damage to property - Learn how to file for insurance reimbursement when department-owned property has been stolen, lost, damaged or destroyed.
Policies: UCSD minimum network security standards