Scripps Information Technology provides IT support services to the entire Scripps community: students, staff, faculty, volunteers, and visitors.
- Account provisioning, setup and troubleshooting
- Access to printers
- Network registration and connection configuration
- Software/Hardware installation and troubleshooting
In addition, an hourly recharge service will be available to the Scripps’ research community to provide solutions for more complex IT issues, such as hardware repair, disk drive imaging, operating system and application software re-installation, etc.
Scripps IT also provides server systems administration and hosting, and data storage and backup services on a monthly recharge basis. (See appendix below for the catalog of services.)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: 858-534-8484 | Submit a Help Request
Hours of Operation: Mon–Fri 7:30am–4:30pm
*Limited availability between 12:00pm–1:00pm
Eckart Building, Room 150 | 8755 Biological Grade La Jolla, CA 92037
Scripps IT is providing support remotely while telework conditions are in place. Hardware support/troubleshooting is available by appointment.
- IT Helpdesk Services (No Cost)
Phone, Walk-in, and On-Site Support
Computer Registration, Network Connectivity, and Security
- Configure computer on UCSD wired and/or wireless network including port activation
- Secure computer for compliance with UCSD Network Security Standards
Hardware and Software Troubleshooting and Assistance
- Initial help with hardware and software diagnostics
- Coordinate computer repair
- Computer surplus and disposal
Supported Operating Systems
- Mac OS X
macOS Monterey (12)
It is recommended that users wait to upgrade to Monterey until after February 2022 (when updates to the current release are available) to avoid any software compatibility and other issues with a new operating system.
macOS Big Sur (11.6.1)
Earlier versions of Big Sur had various problems, but it is generally fine now. The OS is not recommended, however, if currently installed or needed software utilizes kernel extensions.
macOS Catalina (10.15.7)
Offers best compatibility with software and hardware. Supported until late 2022.
With the release of Monterey, macOS Mojave (10.14) has become the fourth oldest version and will cease to be supported. Systems running older operating systems should be upgraded to a supported OS to remain compliant with university policies and Minimum Campus Security requirements. Systems with hardware unable to support a newer OS should be replaced.
- Microsoft Windows
(OS License supplied by user or vendor)
Software Licensing and Installation
- OS and software installation and configuration
(See software section for complete listing)
- Centralized building printer access
- High quality color printing
- IT Recharge Services ($75/hour)
- Software installation/troubleshooting (non-routine)
- Linux install, setup, and configuration (non-server)
- Installation of virtual machine software on desktop/laptop
- Lab and field computer configuration and troubleshooting
- Computer repair and troubleshooting
Malware and Virus Removal
- Diagnose and repair
- Managed Lab Machine (MLM) ($37.50/month)
Managed Lab Machine Enrollment Form
Lab computers (computers attached to lab equipment) without any user management or Linux desktop computers. Scripps IT will ensure that the managed computer will remain in compliance with UCSD Network Security Standards by installing routine security patches, firewall management and attending to virus abatement.The following services will be provided on a per machine monthly charge:
User Management and Provisioning
- Including file system permissions and support
Patch Monitoring and Mitigation
- Including scheduling installation, reboots and roll backs
Antivirus Installation and Monitoring
- Includes virus clean up and disinfection
Firewall and Log Monitoring
- Includes configuration of host-based firewall and central log monitoring
CrashPlan Cloud Backups
- Included at no extra charge for enrolled Lab Managed Machines
(data backup limits apply)
Note: MLM enrollment is paid by an individual lab, PI, or group. Additionally, user permissions are set (and vary) by group. It is recommended that users exercise caution and ensure software is from a reputable source prior to installation.
- Vulnerability Management Software
- Patch and Update Management: Central monitoring of updates with notifications
- Physical Security
- Request anti-theft devices
- Report theft, loss or damage to property – Learn how to file for insurance reimbursement when department-owned property has been stolen, lost, damaged or destroyed. Policies: UCSD minimum network security standard
- UCSD Campus Resources
- Campus Network Status
- Cisco VPN
- DUO Two-Step Authentication
- Find your Department Systems Administrator (DSA)
- Network Security Resources
- Password Change Tool
See our Knowledge Base for more information about password resets, business applications, printing services, networking, Google apps, and more.