Welcome to Scripps Oceanography
For new or prospective Postdoctoral Scholars, we tried to put a short guide together to help you navigate your initial days as Scripps more efficiently. Here, you will find what we thought was most important, but also encourage you to explore the University of California San Diego (UCSD) Office of Postdoctoral Scholar Affairs website, which provides more extensive information on various aspects of your appointment.
The Office of Postdoctoral and Scholar Affairs (OPSA) is the official UC San Diego administrative office responsible for supervising postdoctoral scholar appointments and benefits. In addition, they offer extensive career development and health welfare programming. Upon beginning a postdoc at UC San Diego, you will need to attend one of the monthly New Postdoc Orientations, in which they will guide you through your benefits package.
Getting Started Checklist
- Contact the Office of Postdoctoral Scholar Affairs Orientation website for orientation and essential training
- Contact your Section Chief Administrative Office (CAO) for general information regarding your space and other business office instructions
- Meet with section HR personnel
- Get your keys from your Section Facilities Manager
- Meet with your relevant IT Group to set up your computers and email
- Get Single Sign On access
SSO is a username/password protected gateway for access to campus systems such as Marketplace for purchasing, Learning Center for training and personal tools such as UC Path to view your benefits, paycheck stub, etc.
- Get your ID card
- UC San Diego Office of Postdoctoral Scholar Affairs Listserv
- All new postdocs will be subscribed to the listserv by OPSA
- Listserv is avenue for OPSA to relay information to the postdoc community
- Check out your transportation and parking options through Transportation Services.
- Make sure you indicate you will be parking at Scripps to obtain authorization to park in Scripps lots.
- Connect with the UCSD Postdoctoral Association
Institutional Information Resources
- Scripps Website: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/
- Scripps Postdoctoral Scholars website: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/postdocs
- Scripps Portal (for information on policies, entrepreneurial resources and other information: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/portal
- Employee Resources: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/resources-and-facilities/employee-resources (Includes general information, policies, presentations, etc.)
- Research Facilities Website: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/research/research-facilities
Includes various facilities at Scripps
- Laboratory Safety: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/safety/research-lab
Check here for mandatory lab trainings
All public mailing lists on siomail.ucsd.edu are located at siomail.ucsd.edu Mailing Lists.
- SIO Shuttle Information
The SIO Shuttle connects the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Birch Aquarium and the beach at Scripps Seaside Forum to the Central Campus at the Gilman Transit Center with a walking connection to the UC San Diego Blue Line Trolley at the Central Campus Station. Additional information can be found at SIO Shuttle
- TG: Fridays at SIO
TG is a weekly social event held by the beach at Scripps Institution of Oceanography since the 60s. Come join us and relax at the end of the week. Consider signing up as a member or donating to help keep this tradition alive! Information can be found at siotgif.org.
- Caroline’s Cafe - How To Get a Discount
Caroline's Seaside Café by Giuseppe is located at the Scripps Forum. Add promo code “UCSD” to the online ordering site to get a discount.
- Pinpoint Cafe
Pinpoint Cafe is centrally located on the Scripps campus outside the Eckart Building. Menu items include, breakfast sandwiches, burritos, salads, pastries, snacks, smoothies, acai bowls, coffee, coffee and more coffee.