A postdoctoral scholar (or "postdoc") is someone who holds a doctoral degree who is engaged in a temporary period of mentored research.
There are several postdoctoral opportunities at Scripps Institution of Oceanography:
- The Scripps Postdoctoral program: A competitive program that offers several positions each year to new or recent doctorates in the general research areas of Oceans & Atmosphere, Biology, or Earth Science.
- The Cecil H. and Ida M. Green Foundation for Earth Sciences awards two types of postdoctoral fellowships to work with mentors in the Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics (IGPP) at Scripps. Green Postdoctoral Fellowships include all areas of geophysics and are typically solicited on a yearly basis. The Miles Postdoctoral Fellowship supports research in computational and theoretical geophysics and is generally offered every 2-3 years.
- Positions with individual researchers or faculty: Sometimes the positions are advertised, but often not. We recommend that you search our directory of academic personnel and then contact the individuals you're interested in working with to see if they have positions available. The length of postdoctoral appointments varies by individual investigator.
In addition, there are two other competitive postdoctoral fellowships that may be of interest:
- The Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Scholar Award recognizes postdoctoral scholars who conduct outstanding research, exhibit leadership, mentorship and service as he/she progresses toward a defined career.
- The University of California President’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Program offers postdoctoral research fellowships, professional development and faculty mentoring to outstanding scholars in all fields whose research, teaching, and service will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity at UC.
Additional information about postdoctoral positions at Scripps and UC San Diego can be found at the Office of Postdoctoral and Visiting Scholar Affairs.
- UC San Diego is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity.