International Students

Group photo of international undergraduates at Scripps Seaside Forum.

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students wishing to declare a major at Scripps Oceanography should apply to UC San Diego. As an international student, you may apply as a freshman if you have completed your secondary education, earned a certificate of completion equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma, and have never enrolled as a full-time college or university student. If you have enrolled as a full-time college or university student, you will need to apply as a transfer student.

For information on the international application process, specific country requirements, English language requirements, passport and visa information and financing your degree, visit UC International Admissions. Scripps offers majors in Earth Science, Marine Biology, and Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences and minors in Marine Biology and Earth Science. For additional information on majors, colleges, costs and timelines, visit UC San Diego Undergraduate Admissions. For international funding opportunities, see below.

For any questions, contact Sid Eads (

Graduate Students

International graduate students follow the same application process as domestic students. Master's degrees at Scripps are self-supported (visit UC San Diego Registration Fees for costs), while doctoral students are typically offered a five year guaranteed financial package that includes stipend/salary, tuition, and nonresident supplemental tuition. Requirements for admission are the same for masters and doctoral programs. Students are highly encouraged to find their own funding through grants, fellowships, and scholarships. International funding opportunities can be found below.

For any questions, contact Gilbert Bretado (



Below is a list of funding opportunities available to international students wishing to study in the U.S. While this list is updated regularly, it is not all-inclusive, and deadlines and eligibility may change without notice. Students are encouraged to research and apply for additional funding opportunities on their own.


American Association of University Women Fellowships (AAUW)
AAUW seeks to advance educational and professional opportunities for women in the United States and around the globe. International fellowships are offered.

Fulbright Scholar Program
The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government and is designed to “increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries.” With this goal as a starting point, the Fulbright Program has provided almost 300,000 participants—chosen for their academic merit and leadership potential — with the opportunity to study, teach and conduct research, exchange ideas and contribute to finding solutions to shared international concerns.

Link Foundation - Ocean Engineering and Instrumentation Fellowship Program
The Link Foundation offers one-year fellowships for doctoral students working in the areas of ocean engineering and ocean instrumentation research.

Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship Program- Undergraduate Only
The Cooke College Scholarship Program is an undergraduate scholarship program available to high-achieving high school seniors with financial need who seek to attend and graduate from the nation's best four-year colleges and universities. Each award is intended to cover a significant share of the student’s educational experience – including tuition, living expenses, books and required fees. Awards vary by individual, based on the cost of tuition as well as other grants or scholarships they may receive. No national origin limitations, but must have attended high school in the U.S.

The Josephine de Karman Fellowship Trust
​DeKarman fellowships are open to students in any discipline, including international students, who are currently enrolled in a university or college located within the United States. Postdoctoral and masters degree students are not eligible for consideration.

L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science International Awards
Each year, five Awards Laureates are recognized for their contributions to the advancement of science, in Life or Physical Sciences in alternating years. The 2018 edition of the Awards will designate five outstanding scientific researchers in the Life Sciences, working in one of each of the following regions: Africa & the Arab States, Asia-Pacific, Europe, Latin America, North America.

North Pacific Research Board (NPRB) Graduate Student Research Awards
NPRB awards are given to encourage students to pursue scientific and scholarly research that addresses management issues in northern seas.

Schlanger Ocean Drilling Fellowship
The Schlanger Ocean Drilling Fellowship offers merit-based awards for outstanding graduate students to conduct research related to the Integrated Ocean Drilling Program. The award is to be used for stipend, tuition, benefits, research costs, and travel. Research may be directed toward the objectives of specific expeditions or may address broader themes.

Society of Exploration Geophysicists Scholarship
Open to high school seniors, undergraduates, or graduate students pursuing a college curriculum in applied geophysics. Funding may be used for tuition, books, or fees. No nationality requirements. Application open each year from November 1st to March 1st. ​

Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans
The Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans provide opportunities for continuing generations of able and accomplished New Americans to achieve leadership in their chosen fields. A New American is an individual who (1) is a resident alien; i.e., holds a Green Card, or, (2) has been naturalized as a U.S. citizen, or (3) is the child of two parents who are both naturalized citizens.

Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI)
Fellowships range from three months to three years and allow young scholars to explore their own research questions across Panama’s rich tropical ecosystems while based at STRI's state-of-the-art facilities. Each program has its own deadlines and eligibility requirements. STRI funds graduate, doctoral, and post-doctoral research.

P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship
Awards given to international students wanting to study at a graduate level in America.

Africa and Asia

The Aga Khan Foundation
AKDN provides a limited number of scholarships each year for postgraduate studies to outstanding students from select developing countries who have no other means of financing their studies. Scholarships are awarded on a 50% grant : 50% loan basis through a competitive application process once a year in June or July. The Foundation gives priority to requests for Master's level courses but is willing to consider applications for PhD programs. Includes nationals from: Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Madagascar and Mozambique.

The Civil Society Leadership Awards (CSLA)
CSLA provides fully-funded scholarships for master’s degree study to individuals who clearly demonstrate academic and professional excellence and a deep commitment to leading positive social change in their communities. Open to students from: Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Cambodia, China, Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Laos, Libya, Myanmar, Republic of Congo, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan.

Japan-United States Friendship Commission
An initiative run by Japan and the US, this commission offers grant programs to Japanese students wishing to study in the US (and vice versa). For some of the programs, you may have to be nominated by a home institution in Japan.

Caribbean and Latin America

Opportunity for Mexican students to study a postgraduate course in the United States. The Commission, in coordination with its partner agencies, will support the fellows in the admission application process, seeking to obtain a total or partial exemption from tuition. Priority will be given to Science, Technology, Mathematics, Engineering, and studies on the United States.



American-Scandinavian Foundation
The American-Scandinavian Foundation (ASF) offers funding to Scandinavians to undertake study or research programs (usually at the graduate level) in the United States for up to one year. In order to apply submit applications to the appropriate cooperative organization (see website). Awards are made in all fields. Applicants must be citizens of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden.

Icelandic-American Thor Thors Grant

Applicants must be Icelandic nationals and have completed studies at the first degree at the Bachelor's degree. The grants are awarded to outstanding applicants who have been certified for a degree in American universities. The grants are granted for one year. The budget of the application must show the need for funding and the amount of funding depends on the circumstances of the applicants.

The Research Council of Norway
The Leiv Eiriksson Mobility Programme offers grants to Ph.D. students and academic personnel with a doctoral degree who are affiliated with (i.e. are employed by or have been accepted into an approved Ph.D. program at the time of the application submission deadline) a research institution in the US, Canada or Norway.

South Pacific

American Australian Association
The American-Australian Graduate Education Fund provides scholarship awards of up to $40,000 to support Australian students interested in pursuing graduate level study or post-doctoral research in the United States. Supports study in biophotonics, engineering, environmental and marine Sciences, mathematics, medicine, sciences, sustainability and technology.

Endeavour Leadership Program (ELP)
The Australian Government Department of Education and Training administers the ELP. The objectives are to increase international research and education engagement between Australia and priority countries (including U.S.) in key fields of education, research and innovation. International masters, PhD, or postdocs are eligible for short term research grants (4-6 months). Funding includes travel allowance, establishment allowance, stipend, and insurance

PIPA Trust Scholarship
Citizens of Kiribati are invited to apply for scholarships under the PIPA Trust Scholarship Scheme. The scholarship is awarded to two or more postgraduate students from Kiribati who are doing their studies on marine and ocean related programs at American Universities or other recognized universities.