Nierenberg Prize for Science in the Public Interest
The Nierenberg Prize for Science in the Public Interest is awarded annually by Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
The prize, which includes a bronze medal and $25,000, is awarded for outstanding contributions to science in the public interest.
The Nierenberg Prize for Science in the Public Interest was created through a gift from the Nierenberg family to honor the memory of William A. Nierenberg, (1919-2000), a renowned national science leader who served Scripps Oceanography as director from 1965 to 1986.
Nierenberg was a leading expert in several fields of underwater research and warfare, and was known for his work in low-energy nuclear physics. He was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1971 and was the recipient of numerous awards and honors for professional research and public service.
- 2021 Warren Washington, National Center for Atmospheric Research
- 2019 Jennifer Doudna, University of California, Berkeley
- 2018 Svante Pääbo, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology
- 2017 Major General Charles Frank Bolden Jr., NASA Administrator
- 2015 Lord Martin Rees, University of Cambridge
- 2014 Michael Pollan, Harvard University
- 2013 James Cameron, DEEPSEA CHALLENGE expedition
- 2012 Daniel Pauly, University of British Columbia
- 2010 Ira Flatow, NPR's Science Friday
- 2009 Richard Dawkins, University of Oxford
- 2008 James E. Hansen, NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies
- 2007 J. Craig Venter, J. Craig Venter Institute
- 2006 Gordon E. Moore, Chairman Emeritus of Intel Corporation
- 2005 Sir David Attenborough, OM (Order of Merit)
- 2004 Dame Jane Goodall, Jane Goodall Institute
- 2003 Jane Lubchenco, Oregon State University
- 2002 Walter Cronkite, CBS News
- 2001 E.O. Wilson, Duke University
2021 Nierenberg PRize recipient Warren washington
2019 Nierenberg PRize recipient Jennifer Doudna
2015 Nierenberg Prize Recipient Lord Martin Rees
The text of the lecture is serialized on Huffington Post.
2014 Nierenberg Prize Recipient Michael Pollan
2013 Nierenberg Prize Recipient James Cameron
2012 Nierenberg Prize Recipient Daniel Pauly
2010 Nierenberg Prize Recipient Ira Flatow
2008 Nierenberg Prize Recipient James Hansen